I was going to suggest this too, but the RIF behaves differently than
you might naively expect "intervals" of real number to behave. For
example, "union" means convex hull:

sage: a = RIF(0,1)
sage: b = RIF(2,3)
sage: a.union(b).endpoints()
(0.000000000000000, 3.00000000000000)

Also, it seems from the documentation that RIF intervals are only
designed to represent closed intervals { x : a <= x <= b }

It seems like it would be relatively easy to implement a Sage class
for real intervals that represents finite unions of open, closed, half
open, and unbounded intervals and implements union() and
intersection() methods.

-Benjamin Jones