On Jan 12, 4:21 pm, emil <emil.widm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My guess is that matplotlib was built without the gui. I build Sage
> > from source and in that case it is necessary to set an environment
> > variable. For example in bash: export SAGE_MATPLOTLIB_GUI='yes'. This
> > then will tell it to try to build a gui. It does require that the
> > needed devel packages are present. Matplotlib can use several such as
> > Tk, Qt, Gtk.
>
> > Adam
>
> Hello Adam,
> thanks very much for that, will it try to built every possible backend
> or do I need to set an additional Variable?
> emil

I am not really certain but I don't know of any other flags so I would
guess so. Normally, Matplotlib tries to build for everything that it
can detect. I do a test where I take the matplotlib from the web-site
and build it without installing it. There is information at the start
of the build about which libraries that it found. I use that to test
my system to make sure that it will build the ones that I want.

Adam