On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:33 AM, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 18, 6:07 pm, Daniel Harris <mail.dhar...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 10:51 PM, Robert Bradshaw
>>

>> <rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:

>> > What range are you plotting over? -1 < x < 1? -5 < x < 5? This could
>> > make a big difference on what the graph looks like. Likewise, what is
>> > the scale of the y-axis? I don't think Sage yet tries to remove the
>> > asymptotes at -1 and 2 from the plot.
>>
>> -1.5  < x < 3 the y peak at x=2 is the part that bothers me.  It
>> doesnt seem to show up on my calc or wolfram alpha?
>>

> This is really showing the asymptote.  If you do
>

> sage: plot((x-3) / ( (x+1) * (x-2) ) ,(x,-1.5,3))
>
> sage: plot((x-3) / ( (x+1) * (x-2) ) ,(x,-1.5,3),ymin=-10,ymax=10)
>
> you'll see what I mean.  Unfortunately we don't have any 'guessing'
> for the vertical range.  That's a bug and a feature at the same
> time :)  A graphing calculator likely just picks something arbitrary
> for that.

I think I understand now.  What was confusing me was when I was
looking at a larger scale -30 < x < 30 the peak at x=2 was around 50
but when I kept zoomin in the peak was getting larger, but now I know
now that is the asymptote.  I guess that is why I need to be able to
sketch the graph and not to rely on a computer : )

Thank You both for clarifying the situation

Dan