I installed the newly-released VirtualBox 4.0.10 on my 2-years-old
Windows 7 machine, which has 8 GB of RAM.  I then downloaded
Sage-4.7.ova (dated 2011-06-22) and verified its MD5 sum against that
in the file md5sums.txt .  But upon attempting to import the .ova file
into VirtualBox, I received the error message,

"Failed to import appliance .../Sage-4.7.ova. Could not read OVF file
'Sage-4.7.ovf (VERR_TAR_END_OF_FILE)."

Further details in the expanded error message said

"Result Code: VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
Component:  Appliance
Interface:  IAppliance {7b148032-4124-4f46-b56a-b48ac1273f5a}".

Any suggestions?  Please regard me as a user, not a programmer, and
new to both VirtualBox and Sage (if I can ever get it installed).  Any
instructions need to be fairly detailed and should not assume a
detailed knowledge of programming arcana.