I don't think you should need to call _add_, but this looks like a bug to me:

| Sage Version 4.7.1, Release Date: 2011-08-11                       |
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
sage: 1+SR(2)
3
sage: 1.__add__(SR(2))
3
sage: 1._add_(SR(2))

Unhandled SIGSEGV: A segmentation fault occurred in Sage.
This probably occurred because a *compiled* component of Sage has a bug
in it and is not properly wrapped with sig_on(), sig_off(). You might
want to run Sage under gdb with 'sage -gdb' to debug this.
Sage will now terminate.

Similarly for _sub_ and _mul_.  _div_ gives a slightly different result:

sage: 1._div_(SR(2))
ERROR: An unexpected error occurred while tokenizing input
The following traceback may be corrupted or invalid
The error message is: ('EOF in multi-line statement', (3258, 0))

ERROR: An unexpected error occurred while tokenizing input
The following traceback may be corrupted or invalid
The error message is: ('EOF in multi-line statement', (3244, 0))

TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)

/Users/mcneil/<ipython console> in <module>()

/Applications/sage/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sage/rings/integer.so
in sage.rings.integer.Integer._div_ (sage/rings/integer.c:11866)()

/Applications/sage/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sage/rings/integer.so
in sage.rings.integer.Integer._div_ (sage/rings/integer.c:11824)()

/Applications/sage/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sage/rings/integer_ring.so
in sage.rings.integer_ring.IntegerRing_class._div
(sage/rings/integer_ring.c:5158)()

TypeError: Argument 'right' has incorrect type (expected
sage.rings.integer.Integer, got sage.symbolic.expression.Expression)

Doug