> I'm looking for a way to show the intermediate steps Sage goes through
> when evaluating an expression. To give a very simple example:
>
>    x=var('x')
>    solve(x*x+6x+8,x)
>
> evaluates to:
>
>    [x == -2, x == -4]
>
> However I would like the option to see the intermediate steps, thus
> something like:
>
>    (x+2)(x+4)=0
>    [x == -2, x == -4]

Sage has a lot of tools in it, but it does not have this, nor is it
likely to have for some time, as I do not believe anyone is working on
this.   I suppose if one of the M's has it, adding such functionality
- which would probably *not* be the default - would fall under the
mission statement, though.

There do exist such programs, some of which are free (of charge, not
necessarily open-source), such as http://www.xyalgebra.org/.  I do not
know how good they are, but you might as well try them.  Good luck,
and sorry we cannot currently help with this!

- kcrisman