Just some additional info:

> The login is automatic as admin and no password.   The worksheets look good
> and everything is much faster on the local installation;  however,
> I prefer not to use it much until I get some advice.  I have not been able
> to figure out how to start the notebook server with option Secure=True.

The command is:
sage -notebook secure=True
this will start an https server
(You will have to use Ctr C or similar to stop the running server in
the VM to get a command prompt)

> I removed the sage machine from virtualbox and imported it again to see if
> I missed the point where I was supposed to choose a password,
> but nothing came up.
You can use
sage -notebook  reset=True

to set a new admin password

> Any suggestions?
>
> Carl Eberhart

Actually the notebook has lots of options for startup:
http://www.sagemath.org/doc/reference/sagenb/notebook/notebook_object.html

Example:
IP=$(ifconfig eth0| grep 'inet addr:' | cut -d: -f2 | awk '{ print
$1 }')
sage -notebook port=8000 address=$IP require_login=False
open_viewer=True