On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:27:17 PM UTC-4, Jason Grout wrote:

> On 5/15/12 9:17 PM, Keshav Kini wrote:
> > plot(x^2, (0, 1))
>
> I definitely think that should give a deprecation warning (I think I've
> been advocating for that to give a deprecation warning for a long time).
>   For example, I think this is confusing:
>
> plot(x^2+y-x^2,(0,1))

Yes yes, we've had this conversation before.  Then maybe we shouldn't
simplify such things automatically, in which case a warning would actually
make sense - who actually types in "x^2+y-x^2" to plot it in one variable?
 Like Keshav said, this answers its own question - I can't remember ever
having had an actual support request on this issue.   On the most basic
commands, requiring extra syntactical sugar is a recipe for stultification,
and plot is surely one of those commands.  I really don't think we need to
get that language legalistic on things like this.