I'm using sage 4.6.1 (release data 2011-01-11) on Linux.
When I tried to divide a vector of ~10000 elements by a scalar, it ran out
of system memory and  crashed.
code:

n = 10000
v = vector([0]*n)   # ok so far
v2 = v/1              # kaboom

I repeated this process for increasing values of n starting at 100 and
monitored memory usage and noticed that the memory used increases in a
rapid, nonlinear  fashion. It's not used when constructing the list or
vector, only when the division occurs. There's nothing magic about the
exact value of n, but I have ~1GB ram and with my typical system load, it
crashed on me usually near n=9127. Also, i noticed that memory was not
freed up after "del v" or "del v2".

I tried with other scalar rings as well (such as Zmod(p^k) for various p,k)
and no difference.
If someone can post a quick fix here, I would like to patch my system.
Thanks!
-kyle