Le lundi 11 février 2013 10:17:58 UTC+1, jori.ma...@uta.fi a écrit :

> solve(sin(x) == cos(x),x)
>
>   --> [sin(x) == cos(x)]
>
> solve([sin(x) == cos(x),sin(x) == cos(x)],x)
>
>   --> [[x == 1/4*pi + pi*z31]]
>
> ??

I *think* that by using a system of equations, you are somehow forcing the
use of to_poly_solve, notoriously much better than Maxima's solve() at trig
and log equations. BTW,  from Sage :
solve(sin(x)==cos(x), x, to_poly_solve=True) ==> [x == 1/4*pi + pi*z31],
which is the expected result.

This problem has been known in Maxima fo a loooong time (as can be
understood/inferred by various sarcastic allusions of the Maxima list
old-timers...). I think that to_poly_solve (a. k. a. %solve) has been
written by (IIRC) Barton Willis in order to aleviate this (and similar)
problems.

HTH (but I doubt it...),

                                                                  Emmanuel
Charpentier