log() is a function you would apply to numbers, say real or complex:

sage: a = RealField(100)(2)
sage: a.log()
0.69314718055994530941723212146

while discrete_log() is something to do in a finite cyclic group.  For example:

sage: F = FiniteField(101)
sage: a = F(2)
sage: b = a^67
sage: discrete_log(b,a)