On Monday, August 4, 2014 1:49:42 PM UTC-7, John H Palmieri wrote:

> I can complete the command (by typing ")" then RET), and it will execute
> and give me an error because "basis" doesn't take any arguments. Or I can
> type "]" then RET and get a SyntaxError. Is there any way to get back to
> the Sage prompt without executing the command?

The syntax error is supposed to originate in the parsing phase, which is
before execution. So technically, if you ensure a syntax error is
encountered (better make it a really bad one. Typing "@@@" should work
pretty much anywhere), your command *isn't* executed; not even partially:
Python parses the *whole* line, converting it into bytecode, before
executing. So no lookup of the attribute "basis" on "V" would be happening.

That said, I agree that ^C could quite reasonably cancel a line.