I can only agree with the original posting: Sage-6.6 release on gentoo
requires more than 1.5GB for compiling, on a 2GB computer about half a GB
is needed for running gnome (especially now that polkit has an unfixed
memory-leak in gentoo), so during single-threaded builds Swapfile will
definitely be used. from what I see up to 5GB per thread is needed for
building, inside some python scripts. would be nice if this got reverted in
next release. if not, at least warn about it, so people with only 16GB can
avoid using more than 4 threads...

as for 1GB being used: there is a script setup.py which ps shows 3 times
with the parameter "build", even though I told make to use at most 2
threads and only when load is <1. "ps aux" shows "0.1 400736 2272", "27.8
1675752 568952" and "40.5 1638940 829452" in their "%MEM VSZ RSS" columns,
their size shows as 275,612 1,531,976 and 1,495,164 respectively. is it a
bug in make that swap-file management doesn't count as load? ps doesn't
show any process called "make" in that phase though...