On 19 May 2015 at 10:48, Simon King <simon.k...@uni-jena.de> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On 2015-05-19, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> -- assuming that the generators have the same minimal polynomial of
>> course!  what about the general case?
>
> We are talking here about default conversion. I guess
> K1.hom([K2.gen()]) (mapping generator to generator) is the only
> reasonable default. And We can check (and probably do check already)
> whether mapping generator to generator really extends to a homomorphism
> of field extensions.

OK.  By "general case" I meant where the two fields had generators
with different minimal polynomials, where one has to do  a little work
to find a suitable image for the generator:

sage: F3 = GF(3)
sage: R.<x> = F3[]
sage: F9a.<a> = GF(9,'a',x^2+1)
sage: F9b.<b> = GF(9,'b',x^2+x-1)
sage: f = F9a.hom([F9a.gen().minpoly().roots(F9b)[0][0]]); f
Ring morphism: