On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 12:12:13 PM UTC+1, Tony Hirst wrote:

> ... and I was wondering how labour/knowledge/developer intensive it is
> likely to be setting up and running SageMathCloud on an institutional
> cloud, or via commercial cloud hosting (Google Cloud, or AWS), assuming
> that such a thing is possible using https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc ?

All the code necessary to run SMC is in github. Said that, from my
experience, it is extremely complex given you have to manage several
machines at once, takes you a lot of time to learn how the system behaves
(e.g. you need to setup your own instrumentation system, otherwise you are
working in the blind, to accommodate for the usage patterns)  and you also
need to learn some internals of the system in order to keep up with the
development updates. Also, it depends a bit on the general service level
you want to provide. From my experience, institutional cloud systems lack
some of the key features of GCE or AWS. This makes it even harder to
quickly recover from issues, for example because you do not have disk
snapshots for easy rollback, etc.

So, assuming you have extensive knowledge in maintaining a Linux system,
some Python/node.js/database knowledge and general site ops experience, it
might amount to 20h/week.

-- harald