On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Andrey Novoseltsev <novos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A report from Lee Morgenstern using SageMathCell running Sage 6.9.beta6, but
> the same happens in 6.10:
>
> the following code produces
> NTLError: RR: division by zero

This curve has a very large conductor and coefficients, at least
relative to what mwrank is designed to handle.  For example, I get the
error

  ValueError: Invalid input ([0, 4547218754, 0, 1581862737670677504,
0]) to mwrank (singular curve)

when calling E.mwrank(), which suggests long int overflow.   I've cc'd
John Cremona.

John: what should Sage be checking before allowing E.mwrank to create
a curve using mwrank?

In this case, very likely E.rank() should instantly raise a NotImplementedError.

To the original person asking the question, you might try using Simon
Spicer's new function:

   E.analytic_rank_upper_bound()

which gives an upper bound of 1 in a few seconds; as the root number
is -1, the rank of this curve *must* be 1 (by Gross-Zagier-Kolyvagin).
This is, of course, exactly the hardest case for computing the
MW-group explicitly using mwrank.  Using Heegner points or higher
descents (as in Magma) is probably the only hope here...

In any case, E.rank() is definitely 1.

See

https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/4a5f0542-5873-4eed-a85c-a18c706e8bcd/files/support/2015-12-27-rank-divzero.sagews

for a worksheet illustrating the above.