On Tue, 26 Jul 2016, Ben wrote:

.graphplot() or .show() to do this. However, I'm having trouble displaying
some kind a legend to go along with the graph to explain which colors are
which properties.

I'd like to display with the graph something like

color1 = property A
color2 = property B

Good question. You can say

G = DiGraph({1:[2,3], 2:[3]})
G.show(vertex_colors={'red': G.sinks(), 'blue': G.sources()}, title="Sinks in
red.\nSources in blue.")

but I don't know how to add text to a plot. For example

G = DiGraph({1:[2,3], 2:[3]})
gr = G.plot(vertex_colors={'red': G.sinks(), 'blue': G.sources()})
graphics_array([gr, text("Some colors\nto show special vertices.", (0,0))])

does something that you don't want. I guess that LaTeX (with, say, Tikz) is needed for production quality pictures. Sage's graphics works for demonstration in classroom.

--
Jori Mäntysalo