I've been looking around in the documentation for root systems. It's not
clear to me whether the individual roots in the system are accessible
objects. For example, I can take the root system F4.

sage: rs=RootSystem("F4")

sage: r1=rs.root_lattice().positive_roots()

sage: r2=rs.weight_lattice().positive_roots()

sage: r3=rs.ambient_space().positive_roots()

sage: r1

A recursively enumerated set with a graded structure (breadth first search)

sage: r2

A recursively enumerated set with a graded structure (breadth first search)

sage: r3

[(1, 0, 0, 0),

 (0, 1, 0, 0),

 (1/2, -1/2, -1/2, -1/2)]

sage: it1=r1.breadth_first_search_iterator()

sage: it2=r2.breadth_first_search_iterator()

sage: a1r1=next(it1)

sage: a1r2=next(it2)

sage: a1r3=r3[0]

sage: a1r1

alpha[1]

sage: a1r2

2*Lambda[1] - Lambda[2]

sage: a1r3

(1, 0, 0, 0)

sage: a1r1==a1r2

True

sage: a1r1 is a1r2

False

sage: a1r1 == a1r3

False

sage: a1r2==a1r3

False

If I understand what's going on, a1r1, a1r2 and a1r3 above are three
distinct representations of the same mathematical object (the first simple
root of F4). My question is whether there is a way to access the root
directly? (Say you have some function which takes a root or pair of roots
as input which you want to implement...)