Although you shouldn't have to, please try installing the OS X Command Line
Tools for Xcode as described here:

http://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/installation/source.html#mac-os-x-prerequisite-installation

This error has appeared before
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sage-support/wj4ObDhv_xE> and
installing these tools solved it. If that works for you, then please replay
back so that I can start the process to fix the error again. Thanks!

FYI I run SageMath all the time on El Capitan, but I have the Command Line
Tools installed so that I can compile from source code.