On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 10:49 PM, John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 5:16:15 PM UTC-7, David Joyner wrote:
>>
>> Hi all:
>>
>> This is kind of a newbie question, as I'm not an expert on simplicial
>> complexes. It's also a minor technical issue on the documentation, not
>> the code.
>>
>> I'm trying to debug some code of mine and, on reading the
>> documentation for chain_complex on
>>
>> http://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/reference/homology/sage/homology/simplicial_complex.html,
>> found this: "The rows and columns of the boundary matrices are indexed
>> by the lists given by the n_cells() method, which by default are
>> sorted." On the other hand, the documentation for n_cells has this
>> statement: "Sort the list if the argument sort is True. If sort is
>> None (the default), then sort depending on the value of the
>> sort_facets parameter (from  the initialization of the simplicial
>> complex)." However, the sort_facets parameter (unless I'm mistaken)
>> does not sort the individual faces but rather sorts the vertices in
>> each facet.
>

> The documentation means that if "sort_facets" was True originally, then
> n_cells will also sort its result before returning it. ("then sort depending
> on the value of the sort_facets parameter": so if sort_facets was True, then
> n_cells should also sort. It doesn't mean "sort using the effect of the
> sort_facets parameter", but sort depending on its value, which is True or
> False. This could be made clearer, I guess.)

To be clear, I am getting different computations using the same sage
computations on different machines. One (recent, but used, linux)
machine consistently gives ones result, the other gives (randomly?)
several others. The "other" (a 8 yr old, a mac with possibly memory
issues) machine gives different results. I'm not saying your methods
are machine dependent, just that *for me* they seem to be.

To be clear, these "inconsistent" computations take at least one day.
The "toy" (consistent) examples are okay.