There is one problem after another... The line I've mentioned earlier
https://github.com/sagemath/sagecell/blob/master/js/session.js#L327
saves and shows the default R plots whose names start with Rplot. This
causes read only permissions on files via
https://github.com/sagemath/sagecell/blob/master/backend_cell.py#L65
so when R tries to create a new plotting device with the same name it
fails. I don't recall reasons for read only but I am pretty sure that's how
Volker's display backend system is supposed to function. I have tried to
make the file writeable, in which case errors go away, but the same plot
gets displayed again and again because it has the same name. Recently user
files were prevented from caching, but it does not help here - displaying
the same image on the same page does not generate a network request at all,
rather the old copy is shown again.

Any ideas on how to fix it? Or how to describe the situation for a search
engine?