On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 1:20:59 AM UTC, Kwankyu wrote:

> On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 8:00:46 AM UTC+9, kcrisman wrote:
>>
>> That is a great question.  Sagenb (what you have found) does not serve up
>> Jupyter.  It would be really interesting to hear from someone who knows
>> about Jupyterhub and whether that is a stable solution at this point.
>>

> I don't have an experience of deploying Jupyterhub, but for experiments
> have installed a Jupyterhub server on a ubuntu machine.
>
> Jupyterhub is really just a hub for Jupyter notebooks. A user, after login
> in the login webpage, have a Jupyter notebook runnng with his(her) own
> account of the machine. So it is like the user login to a machine and run a
> Jupyter notebook in the shell and use the notebook on a web browser.
>
> For me, a big concern of running Jupyterhub on my machine is security. If
> you give an id and passwd to a user (say a student), then (s)he can
> whatever you can do on a linux machine with internet connection.

This is not really true. There are many ways to restrict what a user can do.
E.g. cocalc does more or less the same thing: a cocalc project is
associated with a unique linux user account (and yes, for non-paying users
there is no full-blown internet access).

And you are right, if you restrict a user within a lightweight virtual
machine it's more secure.
E.g. FreeBSD has something called jails for such a purpose:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails.html
Not sure what's Linux equivalent for this.