I appreciate the help with solving my problem, though I do have some
comments/questions to make with regard to usability for new users:

Why can't matrices be allowed in SR in a nontrivial way? Or, for some
function H(s), why cant the behavior H(1) = H(s=1) be the default behavior?
I guess my issue is that there doesn't seem to be a simple/consistent way
to define a function that works, and I believe there should be. Mathematica
manages this functionality somehow, what makes it difficult here? I am
certainly a fan of using lambda functions, but iirc they are from python
and are not inherently Sage/mathematical objects, right? Lambda functions
aren't the "suggested" way to make functions in the Sage tutorial. Perhaps
it is just not known to me, but I would love for there to be some *simple*
consistent standard with defining functions such that, if I define one in
this way and try to plot it or plug in values with a certain notation, it
will Always work and not give me something weird like this. Does such a
consistent notation exist that I haven't seen? The page "Some Common Issues
with Functions" in the documentation essentially comments on the existence
of this issue.

Thanks for all of the help so far, I appreciate it!