first of all, inspect what you have in your PATH, using "echo" from
shell. E.g. I have

$ echo $PATH
/usr/lib/llvm/6/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/opt/bin

Now one can set it to what you need by using "export", e.g.

$ export PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

Now in this shell session you have what you've set it to.

To make it persistent, modify ~/.bashrc or/and similar file, such as
~/.profile, this is in every sensible tutorial on basic Unix shell
usage...