Hi Peter,

On 2018-12-30, Nils Bruin <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:
>> Does this only work in interactive mode? As soon as I try to
>> capture it in a function it doesn't work anymore.

The syntax
    R.<t> = QQ[[]]
only works interactively. In an interactive session, a preparser is
adding some syntactical sugar:
   sage: preparse('R.<t> = QQ[[]]')
   "R = QQ[['t']]; (t,) = R._first_ngens(1)"

If you want to write a module for Sage, you have to translate it
into Python syntax. One possibility is to copy the above result of the
preparser. Another possibility is
   from sage.rings.power_series_ring import PowerSeriesRing
   R = PowerSeriesRing(QQ, 't')
   t = R.gen()

Best regards,
Simon