I have an inkling that it is the code to probe the number of processors
present that is at fault. It uses the right command but doesn't use the
result and always returns one. This causes problems with the interface to
maxima if one has set the number of cores for tensor computations to other
than one. I will try this out by changing the code the I get some time.