PS:

When I go to the master branch instead of develop branch, I do not have
the problem with the spkg type "pip" --- but "make" soon fails, because
when the "patch" spkg is built, configure claims that the C compiler
cannot create executables - which is wrong: I tested, and I can create
an executable from some "Hello World" program.

Again: How to debug? The only "failed program" mentioned in config.log
is with "#include <ac_nonexistent.h>" -- so, it is supposed to fail.

Best regards,
Simon