On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 4:01 PM Michael Beeson <profbee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> sage: d = 6
>
> sage: p = d/2
>
> sage: p
>
> 3
>
> sage: is_prime(p)
>
> False      #  Huh?!!

The parent of p is QQ (the rational field).
p is not a prime number of the **rational field**.
You should coerce p to ZZ first.

In retrospect, we probably should have just made is_prime throw an
exception if the parent ring is a field, since the ring theory
definition of prime number isn't very useful in a field.

--
William (http://wstein.org)