2022-06-22 16:37:11 UTC, John H Palmieri:

> How do I set the PATH in the OS X Jupyter notebook,
> if I'm using the 3-manifolds binary app? I mean, I know
> how to do it in an individual notebook, but how do I set
> the default PATH for every notebook? For example,
> how do I add /usr/local/bin so that it's in the PATH
> every time I open a new notebook?

Hi John,

Good job with your comments at

- Ask Sage question 62873
  https://ask.sagemath.org/question/62873
  Animating plots in Jupyter/Sagemath

Here is a possibility for the missing bit, after reading

- discussion at [Stack Overflow question
34976803](https://stackoverflow.com/q/34976803)
- [Lucy Park: When Python imports but IPython does
not](https://www.lucypark.kr/blog/2013/02/10/when-python-imports-and-ipython-does-not/)

To define some code to be run at the start of each
Sage session, and/or each time the Sage Jupyter
kernel starts, edit one or both of the files

- `$HOME/.sage/ipython-5.0.0/profile_default/ipython_config.py`
- `$HOME/.sage/ipython-5.0.0/profile_default/ipython_kernel_config.py`

in which you should find a section like this:

    ## lines of code to run at IPython startup.
    #  Default: []
    # c.InteractiveShellApp.exec_lines = []

Uncomment the last line in that section and add
any code to run. For example:

    ## lines of code to run at IPython startup.
    #  Default: []
    c.InteractiveShellApp.exec_lines = [
        import sys; sys.path.append('/usr/local/bin')
    ]

Feel free to consolidate your comments and this idea
into an answer to the Ask Sage question.   --Samuel