On Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 4:55:57 AM UTC-4 Nils Bruin wrote:

the line:

calling init: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgivaro.so.9

is definitely indicating that you are picking up a system libgivaro.

Perhaps you can check in the same way which libgivaro gets linked when you
run sage in a way where you don't get the "undefined symbol" error? If it's
a different library then the system library is perhaps the problem.

OK, so removing my computer's own libgivaro9 and libgivaro-dev, Jupyter Lab
works with no problems, so the problem was definitely the system's library.

I am not sure I will miss them (and other packages that depended on it --
fflas-ffpack libgivaro-dev libgivaro9 liblinbox-dev python3-brial
python3-sage), but isn't there a way to force Jupyter to use Sage's one?