On Monday, 19 June 2023 at 12:10:49 UTC+2 ayan.mah...@gmail.com wrote:

Another crazy thing is that suppose I see 40% usage in memory and kill the
program by cntrl-c but keep sage running. Then I start a new process in
sage. The memory increases from 40%. As if there is some permanent stuff
stored in the memory that can only be erased by shutting down sage.

It's most definitely the case that partial results from your interrupted
run are reachable from active scopes and therefore their memory remains
allocated.  Shutting down sage will most certainly release the memory, but
if you can trace where it old results are still referenced, you could break
those references and the memory would be released. These things can be hard
to track down, particularly when you've interrupted code and hence may have
left data structures in inconsistent states.