DIAMONDS IN THE BACKYARD

       stories of inspiration,

Though only a boy of 12, Silas Harper exhibited all the characteristics that
ingratiated his elders. It was hard not to like the kid — cheerful,
enthusiastic, diligent, helpful — your typical boy scout type.

His family eked out a meager existence on a less than desirable piece of
property on the outskirts of town. The rocky outcrops on the small Arkansas
farm did not bode well for wheat or corn, so the Harpers did what they could
with some livestock and doing odd jobs for the other families in town. Silas,
as always, did more than his share to help with the chores.

As he grew into adulthood, his ambitions and charm grew too. Some thought he
would become a banker or lawyer. But Silas had bigger dreams than that. "My
dad's farm is a nice place, but what would I do with that property?" he asked
friends.

He didn't get any arguments. The farm was hardly workable and for all intents
and purposes was good for nothing.

By the time he was 19, Silas had saved enough money to board the train and head
west to seek his fame and fortune. He set up an import business in San
Francisco, and was not only well received by the business community there, but
also achieved success in a relatively short time.

Colleagues liked and trusted him. It seemed that luck was on his side, until
several years later when he stood on the street and cried while he watched a
fire destroy his business. Everything he had worked for had gone up in smoke.

The Worst Day of My Life

But nothing and no one would ever stand in his way. "I must say that I thought
that was the worst day of my life," Silas later recalled, "but that wasn't the
only setback I experienced as destiny handed me my fate." Indeed, Silas spent
the next forty years spanning the globe, living in exotic places, and putting
deals together. However, he was overtaken with illness, dishonest business
partners, and other misfortunes.

He sought peace and contentment by eventually finding his way back home. The
old homestead had been boarded up for many years, and the farmhouse was in
desperate need of repair. But Silas enjoyed the company of his old friends, and
he invested what he had to fix the place up.

One spring day, Silas was relaxing in his rocking chair on the back porch of
the old farmhouse. It was a nice day. But something was about to happen that
would make it very special.

A glint of sunlight had caught his eye. It caused him to look up and search the
rocky field. Silas caught the spot in the field where the ray of light had come
from. He got up, walked over to the spot, knelt down, and saw something.

"At that point," he said, "I tried to look more closely. My eyesight hadn't
been the best, so I got my spectacles out. I can't say I know one rock from
another, but I've been around enough to think I knew what I was looking at."

Within a week, geologists from a state university had confirmed his find. Silas
was looking at a diamond. But that's not all. They had surveyed his property
and discovered the place was littered with diamonds — so many in fact, that
Silas was now sitting on the largest diamond field in North America.

That worthless piece of rock infested earth — the same one that Silas had
forsaken decades before for opportunity in distant lands — turned out to be one
of the most valuable pieces of real estate anywhere.

If Silas was bitter before, he could only kick himself now. "If I had only
known," he told friends, "that my riches were not only right in front of me,
but given to me early, I would have lived my life very differently."

You Already Have the Key

As a wealthy celebrity, Silas spent the remaining years of his life going to
schools and telling students the lessons he learned. They listened intently.

"Don't think for a minute that what you are looking for is down that track, or
over the next hill. Don't be fooled into thinking that someone else has what
you want. Yes, strive for what you seek. Work hard and honestly for what you
want. But don't blind yourself to what you can find in front of you right now!
You already have the key to unlock the treasures.

"It took me a lifetime to discover the secret I am telling you now. Please
don't misunderstand. I'm not telling you to go to the trouble of running
outside with a shovel. No, it's much easier than that. You don't even have to
get your hands dirty!

"The trick to finding your treasure involves opening your eyes, and opening
your heart. Look in front of you, and within you. Some of you are afraid to
look because you have grown comfortable struggling with troubles you've come to
expect.

"Believe me when I tell you that you have been given everything you need. You
already own the gifts you seek. Don't spend your lifetime seeking your
happiness, when in reality, you already have the means to it.

"Everyone is good at something, and you'll come to find out that the more you
share your treasures, the shinier they get, and the more valuable they become.
We can become rich beyond imagination when we discover that we are all
sparkling jewels."

~ By Lee Simonson Publisher, Heartwarmers.com

Illustrations: Ms. Lyn Kriegler Elliott