---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Goanet News Service <n...@goanet.org>
Date: 2010/1/3
Subject: [Goanet] Humanists celebrate the season
To: goa...@goanet.org

                   **** http://www.GOANET.org ****

                      Happy New Year Twenty-Ten

Humanists celebrate the season

Many people decorate trees this time of year, and the Halton Peel
Humanist Community didn't want to be left out of the fun.

The group, founded three years ago, hosted an event Monday night in
which its members decorated a tree with covers from some of their
favourite books read this past year.

Being humanists, there were plenty of books that focused on science
and logical thinking; Charles Darwin's Origin of Species made an
appearance as did Al Gore's The Assault on Reason and David Suzuki's
The Sacred Balance.

Kevin Saldanha, the group's president, said the event wasn't designed
to denigrate people's faith. Rather, it was a way for the group to
celebrate and enjoy the season in a way that's in line with their
beliefs.

"It was our way of celebrating with a tree that we felt was
appropriate and, hopefully, would inspire people," said Saldanha. "It
allows us to celebrate the season in a positive way without being
offensive."

About 15 people took part in the tree decorating, which was held on
Saldanha's property on Creditview Rd.

Saldanha said it seemed like a good idea because many people are
decorating Christmas trees this time of year. He pointed to the
recently erected Loving Memory Tree for grieving families outside City
Hall as another example.

"Our tree promotes knowledge, education and scientific literacy," said Saldanha.

http://www.mississauga.com/community/article/246704--humanists-celebrate-the-season

SOURCE:  Miguel Braganza

--
Frederick Noronha

Columnist :: journalism
editing :: alt.publishing,
photography :: blogging

Landline :: +91-832-2409490
Mobile :: +91-9822122436
784 Saligao 403511 Goa India

Goa,1556 :: http://goa1556.goa-india.org
Photos :: http://photosfromgoa.notlong.com

Forthcoming from Goa,1556:
http://tiny.cc/peppercorns

--
This message comes via the Google Groups "Saligao-Net" group.