HANDKERCHIEF (ASKET OR BASKET)

This game is played by a group of 10 or 15 players. However the minimum limit should be 6.

The players sit to make a circle. One among them is the ‘den’. The ‘ den’ has to go round the circle with a handkerchief hidden in his hand. He has to keep the handkerchief furtively behind one of the players. The players therefore have to be attentive to see whether the handkerchief is behind them. The player, behind whom the handkerchief is placed  has to run around the circle to catch the den. If the player touches the ‘den’, the player is out, or the ‘ den’ can go and sit in the place of the player before the player can get him/her out. When the ‘den’ is going round the circle he/she is accompanied by a song on the way: “ Asket or Basket, green and yellow basket, I wrote a letter to my mother, on the way I dropped it”.

If the player is not able to catch the ‘den’ before sitting, he becomes the ‘den’ and the game continues.

                         TWO’S AND THREE’S

  Remember Calangute beach and the enthusiasm generated by this game? The picnickers also looked forward for this game

This game is played in a group standing in a circle in two’s, one  in front of the other. Number 1 becomes the ‘den’ or the one to be chased. Number 2 becomes the chaser when the game begins. Number 1 can run in the circle or outside the circle, but the chaser Number 2 can only run outside the circle. When Number 1 is about to be caught, he/she runs and stands in front of Number 1 of another pair and the third person( i.e. the last one) now becomes the ‘den’ who has to run and stand in front of another Number 1 in order to be saved. If he/she is caught then he becomes the chaser”( Input by Mrs. Berlinda Caldeira, Vasco-da-Gama).

Compiled by Fr. Nascimento Mascarenhas.

Vasco da Gama, 10-06-2004.