Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2004 4:22 PM
Subject: Re: [saligaonet] San Joao in Abu Dhabi

Hello Saligaokars,

Belated Happy San Joao !!!  Saw couple of emails from Annette and news on the Goanet email too wishing everyone.

So I decided to share a few things we did at home last thursday on San Joao.

Since it was a Thursday, weekend here,  Perviz and myself decided to have some fun.

We invited three families over with kids and all we told them was make sure you have a change of

clothes for the children. The rest was a surprise.

We got one of those artificial pools, a fairly large one for about 5 kids in the age group of 2 -8 years to fit in.

We placed it in our bathroom along with some tall plants around it and filled it with water. Perviz got some colourful plastic garlands

and made crowns for the children ( Kopel) and some for them to put around their necks.  All the families then gathered around the altar,

we said a short prayer  ( kids were very excited by this time) and sang the San Joao Song after that. Perviz passed around

in the traditional way a small little glass with some feni, and everybody said Viva San Joa !!!  as the feni went down their throats.

The kids by this time were too excited for words and we gave them the green signal to JUMP !!! And there they were spalshing around in the pool, looking so

cute with all the colourful flowers around them.

The youngest child in there was 2 years old and the oldest, my son 8 years. We taught them the first two lines of the San Joao song and they kept singing it as

as they splashed around.

The food we cooked for dinner was..................Red rice, prawn curry with mango, Kismor, temperada, Pork Vindalho, Gram Ross (curry - Hindu Style), cutlets

and of course the feni bottle made its rounds.  We  also had a sing song session with Perviz playing the 'Ghumat' and my daughter slapping the 'Tambourine'

on her thigh.  Heh ! I did  the Dhekni too, from my good old folk dancing days.

We had some karokhe music later and to top it all finally, we had the Football Fever on, with England and Portugal playing,

so everyone was shouting, Viva San Joao !!! Viva Portugal !!!

We had a great evening, all the four families, including us and all our kids. I wished I was in Goa that evening.

That's all folks,

Regards to all my Gaobhav's and Ghavbhoins and all your respective families.

Zelma De Souza
Abu Dhabi