IS ANYONE interested in picking up a few avocado seeds for planting in their
backyards? We have a tree, and in the last fruiting season ended up with a
few dozen seeds which anyone could have for the asking.

The avocado is a kind of exotic fruit in Goa, and most don't know about it.
While talking about this tree, I'd like to remember my elderly neighbour,
the late Aunty Peggy (Mascarenhas), who like many an elderly Goan had green
fingers and loved planting. She was responsible for this tree coming up too.
And I'll always regret not interviewing her in depth, given that she was a
virtual walking library, with a whole lot of information about the village
life, how things were, and what not.

Coming back to avocados, I initially had to hunt around for information
about this fruit. The Internet was useful, and an Indian scientist based in
the US (Asit K Ghosh) who has a strong interest in various plants, was
helpful. See his explantory note below.

Later we realised that while locals didn't have a clue about eating the
fruit, those who had been in Africa in the past -- the Africanders -- had
sometimes inclcated a taste for the fruit. (I once even got a call at 10 pm
asking for it.)

Anyway, if you'd like to try planting two or three seeds in your place, just
come over and ask. These seeds seem to have no great difficulty for growing
in local soil. FN

>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Mon Aug 18 23:35:54 2003

Dear Ms. Parikh & Fred The following information should be of some help to
you. If not, please let me know.
Avocados are bitter until they are ripe. You can tell when they are ripe by
slightly squeezing the fruit with your thumb and forefinger.

If the fruit is hard, it is not ripe.

If the peel gives a little and bounces back, like a tennis ball, it needs
another day.

If you can feel the flesh give under the peel, sort of like a slightly warm
cream cheese, it is ripe.

The flesh should be soft and easily cut with a spoon.  Scoop out any dark
areas. Some brown streaking may be visible. Small streaks are not a problem,
other than not looking as appetizing as pure green flesh.

During the ripening process the peel will change color, becoming lighter or
darker, depending on the variety.  If the peel is black, the fruit is more
than likely overripe.
The simplest way to eat Avocado is to cut a ripe fruit open, sprinkle it
with seasoning salt . Then sprinkle a little lime or lemon juice in the
center along with a dash of hot sauce. If you want a richer flavor add some
flavorful olive oil. Mix the liquid into the flesh with a fork, scoop it out
with a spoon and enjoy.

RECIPE

(1) Carnegie-Mellon University~Rs Computer Science Dept. has a Avocado
Recipe Archive at
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/vegetables/avocado-coll.html

with the following Recipes,
        Berried Avocado Grapefruit Salad
        Strawberry Avocado Parfait
        Avocado 'N Everything Pizza
        Prosciutto/Salmon Wraps
        Party Dip
        Vegetable Pick-Ups
        Avocado Sorbet
        Melons with Sweet Avocado Dip
        Safari Sandwich
        Tropical Compote
        Fruited Rice Salad on the Half
        Chicken Waldorf Pitas with Curried Yogurt Sauce
        Spaghetti Squash and Avocado Salad
        Crab and Avocado Melts
        Turkey Curry Bombay
        Confetti Chicken Salad
        Pesto Avocado Torta
        Avocado Mousse Melba
        Spicy Nachos Supreme
        Classic Guacamole
        Avocado Salmon Sandwich
(2)

There are 153 Avocado Recipes from BETTER HOMES & GARDEN Magazine at

http://ww5.bhg.com/bhg/recipe/?ordersrc=g2

Good luck. Asit K. Ghosh Rockledge, Florida, USA