http://goacom.com/news/news96/aug/saligao.html

SALIGAO DURING MY SCHOOLDAYS (20s and 30s) AND NOW
By C. Azavedo
Our younger generation might be interested in the changes that have taken place in our
village during the last seventy years. To the best of my knowledge and ability (not
much), I give below some changes under various heads.

EDUCATION: In the 'thirties, there was one English high school, Mater Dei Institution.
In those days, there were no SSC or HSSC Boards. High schools were affiliated to the
Bombay University. Their final exams were conducted by the universities and were
called `Matriculation'. There were only three other high schools in Goa (then) --
Aldona, Parra and Arpora. (Mater Dei is now an ICSC school.) In addition, there were
three other English schools, one exclusively for girls and the others, including Mater
Dei, were co-ed. As regards Portuguese schools, apart from the Government Primary
School, there were two other schools. There also was a church school, on the site of
the present stage (adjoining the church), which taught music and the three Rs.

It will therefore be seen that, as regards education, Saligao was better off then.
When I hear of villages, which were unheard of during my school days, having colleges,
I feel very sad (because Saligao does not have any).

TRANSPORT: There were only two roads, the Mapusa-Verem road branching to Calangute at
Arrarim, and the Sangolda-Saligao road, ending at Saligao, near where the Villa
Saligao (CIE, i.e. Cottage Industrial Exposition, an outlet for carpets and Italian
food) now stands. Both were red-mud roads. While the Mapusa-Verem-Calangute road is
the same, except for having got tarred around the time of Liberation, the narrow
Sangolda-Saligao road has been replaced by the broad CHOGM (Commonwealth Retreat)
road. There were no motorable roads in vaddos. Now, they are practically in every
vaddo, and the people seem to want more.

Passenger transport then was by bullockcart-like `match boxes'. Six could sit
comfortably, while eight could squeeze in. These disappeared slowly, while I was in
Bombay. Passenger cars were beginning to make their appearance, though they were for
long extremely rare. Buses made their appearance in the mid-thirties, but they were
quite different from the elegant modern buses, and they were few and far between.

People then used to walk. Saligao people working in Mapusa would daily walk the
distance (around 6 km). Walking to, say, Aldona (around 12 km) was considered nothing
much. I have myself done it a few times. Cycles were beginning to make their
appearance, and becoming popular.

HOUSES: There were four big mansions in Saligao -- Gama Pinto's and Pinto's in Cotula,
Pinto Lobo's in Pequeno Morod and Marques, in Muddavadi.

Of these, only two still exist: Gama Pintos in Cotula, partly occupied by the Gama
Pinto family and partly by the home for the aged and the Marques's. The Pinto's
mansion having become too old had to be demolished. Mr. Gil Lobo's house is partly on
the site of this sprawling mansion. Similar was the case with the Pinto Lobo's huge
mansion which had an attached chapel. It was demolished some years back, and in its
place came the `Villa Saligao' (CIE). There were hardly any houses with upper storeys.
Today's trend is to build comparatively smaller houses with upper stories. There were,
of course, no multi-storeyed buildings with flats, the type now coming up in Saligao
too.

SPORTS AND ARTS: Our football team was among the three best in Goa, the other two
being the Mesticos of Panjim and the Siolcars. Cricket and hockey were also played,
but not as much as football. I have witnessed two basketball matches between
well-dressed boys and girls. Today, one can hardly see any worthwhile games (in the
village). I understand that our football team consists more of outsiders rather than
Saligaokars.

Saligaokars have had more than a common measure of the gift of music. Many of our
ancestors have made their living and prospered by music. There were top violinists
like Salvador Cordeiro, Daniel D'Souza in Colombo, Roque Fernandes in Calcutta, etc.
Today, musicians in Saligao are somewhat rare.

The services of the church were generally in Latin, and there was not much
participation of the congregation. The singing being mainly in Latin, a special choir
trained to sing in Latin, mainly by the church school, was essential. Inspite of this,
the singing used to be generally excellent. Services now being in the vernacular,
there is wide participation by the congregation. The singing in our church, as in the
days of old, is definitely good, and on special occasions excellent, thanks mainly to
our curate and some dedicated young ladies and men. (Ends)