History of the Wards of Saligao.

To-day we begin the History of the Wards of Saligao. The various events that took place in the past which has shaped the present for us, I hope, will lead our coming generations to continue its progress in the same vein if not better in the years to come. Our Motto always has been " Union is Strength", and Saliganvkars wherever they are have always felt nostalgic about the events, men and matters of their Village. The history of the wards of Saligao is the story of the village of Saligao.

" Till now young people still leave the village like our ancestors did years ago. There are many job opportunities in Goa today—in tourism, in business and in service. But other things, like modern health services, are lacking. By helping provide modern amenities, we can change things for the better. We have the power to do it" says Mr. Alan Durante, the President of Saligao Union, Mumbai and almost 150 years back when Saligaokars resolved to build their Church, Mr. Salvador Pinto, affectionately called Salu Pinto, at a meeting of Communidade uttered the stirring words " AMI KORUM-IA" and since then life in Saligao began to circulate around the Church and its Patroness, Mae de Deus . But much before 26th November, 1873 we all joined around our Patrons in ward Chapels and even earlier people of other religions around their temples, shared ideas around the Tinto or Chauddi, the Communidade Ghor as one united –The Uxelantle Kole --of Saligao. Our "Kui" of the "koles"is cry of Saligaokars at home ans diaspora is to join hands with all and sundry to make this world a better place to live in. So let us begin this story with the history of our wards which is also the history of the wards and villages of Goa and we are proud of it.

History of Mollebhatt.

One version regarding the origin of the ward Mollebhatt is that, the place on which a temple was located was known as ‘Diulacho Sorvo’( property of the temple). It was a sacred place dedicated to Lord Vetal in the pre-portuguese times. In order to have sufficient flowers for the daily morning ‘ puja’ every house used to have a flower garden known as ‘Fulancho Mollo", hence the name Molebhatt. Some people call it Mollembhatt or Mollembatta. There is a traditional ‘dulpod’ sung in this ward and it goes as follows:

!. Amcho Santulo gheunu pantullo

Fullam punzaitalo(twice).

Amchea Vaddeant , Mollebhattant

Fullam ful’leant mollenat( Twice)

( Our Santan, with basket in hand used to gather flowers.

That have appearead in the bushes of the Ward, Mollehatt)

This property’ Diulacho Pato’ was bought by a Christian after the conversion when the deity of Lord Vetal was shifted to Advalpale in Bicholim taluka in the XVI century.

Another version is that during the business trips to the boarder the Saligaokars sharp eyes fell on the rich sugarcane cultivation across the Ghatts. Sugarcane cultivation in Saligao was pioneered by Mollebhatkars. The name of the ward is itself derived from the stumps of the reaped sugarcane

. Though the trade is a sure reality the theory of the "stump" does not support much as sugarcane came into existence in Saligao in the late 18th century and the Communidade Books of Saligao of the year 1759 already record the names of the 9 wards of Saligao including Molle Bata. Hence we are more inclined towards the first version---------------- …………………………………to be continued.

by Mrs. Idalina Rego, Mrs. Lucy Cordeiro, Late Mr. Cassiano da Lima, late Mr. Eleuterio Remedios, Ms Venessa Godinho, Mrs. Sylvia & Joaquim Vaz in collaboration with Fr. Nascimento Mascarenhas.

For reference read " Souvenir, St. Anne Chapel, Saligao(1843-1993)