Hi SaligaoNetters

Very interesting history! Hope those guys from Arrarim (some of them are in Canada) who used to call Donvaddo "dark continent" & didnt know there was anything after the "Pond" will be reading all this - many firsts - Donvadkars - I like this. Thanks Fr. Nasciment for getting all this info. Noticed Orlando also providing info, but he would as his Uncle Patro knew almost everything & could put his hand to anything, knew everyone & so on....

From: Nascimen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

TRANPORTATION: In the field of transportation, the distinction goes to Mr. Niceforo Mascarenhas, who owned a 'caminhao', that plied between Candolim and Mapuca via Saligao, ..

Oh really? That would be Tina Mendes grandfather. I recall the 2 caminhaos that used to take us to Mapusa & Calangute at times in 1970, so the owners must have got the idea from U.Nicerf.

Speaking of jewelry fabrication, one cannot forget Railo Xett, .......this tradition is carried on by Madhukar, Vasudev's youngest son.

Yeh, they are our immediate neighbours & actually Tukaram (elder brother used to do our jewellery), then it was Madhukar, both have left this world long time ago, & the talent & skill has gone off with them, last of the Xetts in our area as his children are working in the Gulf, in Goa etc.

And, oh yes, for the cup that cheers as much as it inebriates! Visvonad and Raia distilled quality ' >feni' that could compare with the best. Nowadays Atmaram following in the footsteps of his father >carries on this occupation with equal distinction. Raia and his son Atmaram also eliminated pigs, by >shooting,those that destroyed the paddy-fields, with the mandate of the authorities in Saligao >when farming was the main occupation in the village.

Atmaram also kills off snakes when people ask him do so. I've seen him shoot with great precision a huge snake (forgot the name, the one with the diamonds on it - if you are bitten by it, your skin rots) in the compound of Carneiros. Lot of excitement that Sunday.

Donvaddo also gave to the church two important prelates and a provincial and a General of a Society. They are late Bishop Alfred Fernandes and Bishop Charles Gomes, both expired and Fr. Higinio Henriques C Ss R, late Fr. Francisco Sequeira, S.F.X of whom I will speak separately in future.

Hmmm! Fr. Gino Henriques as he is called... we meet him every year in Bahrain as he is usually invited here by our Parish Priest to conduct the Lenten Mission & prepare us for Easter. Love to hear him sing, his voice as good & powerful as Fr. Nasciment's.All people like to attend his Missions. He has a terrific memory too.

Must go on to read history of Donvaddo VI , couldnt resist commenting on this one though.

Luwell & I had a good weekend, lot of entertainment & eating. Played Carrom after 20 years! Seem to be able to strike the edge of the board if not always the carrom men. After 1 hour of play, seemed to have improved - guess one never forgets this like riding a bicycle, once you've learnt to ride, then one rides. We will be continuing our entertainment today, & tomorrow we celebrate the Feast of Assumption in our church followed by Social evening in the Hall to celebrate the Feast & Independence Day.

Have a nice day & a good weekend.

Happy Feast for 15th
Jai Hind

Annette