Saturday, 9/11 saw Val Souza in Saligao. We had a meet at Sanjeev Trivedi's place, and all is going fine with the plans for the new version of the Saligao book. Val, editor of Express Computer in Mumbai, has a nice scheme for re-arranging Fr Nascimento's articles there.

        Question to Saligaonetters: Do you have some photographs
        of Saligao of the past, which could be scanned and
        included in the book, while returning the originals to
        you? If so, please send in details to Sanjiv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        or me. Thanks in anticipation! Both of us have volunteerd
        to look after the pictoral aspect of the book. Val will see
        to the overall editing. Shannon has volunteered with design...

On Sunday, 9/12, Lourdes Convent was buzzing with activity with a cooking competition organised by the ex-students association. I promised Sharon Lobo (not to be mixed up with Shannon D'Souza nee Ezdani, her classmate) to wait for her to post the details to this list. So, the honour of doing so goes to Sharon, one of the core team (with Danushka and Diego) who put in all the hardwork.

        Inspite of the uncertainity in organising the event, the contest
        went well. A number of locals and ex-students from neighbouring
        villages (including Calangute) participated. Prizes were good and
        attractive, the food submitted was yum, and everyone seemed to
        enjoy the auction. It raised some funds for the LCHS alumni to
        kickstart their activities... but more than that it built a
        strong community feeling with so many people having a good time
        and getting to know each other better through this event.

After a long gap, since leaving the school around 1976, my daughter's presence there makes me interact with Lourdes Convent once again. The attitude of the nuns, in going far beyond the required minimum, and working to build the school into a live centre of activity for young people (see how busy the school is with kids playing in the evenings) needs to be appreciated. Perhaps LCHS has the ability to play the role of an activity centre, cutting across lines of religion, and vaddo.

While talking to principal Sr Lily, we broached the possibility of holding a graphics-design workshop in the October holidays for senior students and villagers. Shannon has volunteered to take up this activity, teaching the basics of design for those interested in the subject.

Olinda Sequeira's younger son David of Sonarbhat, together with others like Ashley Delaney (hardware) and Derek Cordeiro (software) could possibly hold another 2-3 day workshop in computer hardware. Sr Lily was open to this idea, and we spoke of how the British encourage life-long learning for even their senior citizens. Of course, our youngsters too need a leg-up to enter fiels that give them access to decent jobs in the future. Maybe we could even take the lead in having a mando troupe from Saligao participate in the festival later this year or in early 2005.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome. Please see some other ideas being discussed on Goanet, the last URL below. FN
Frederick Noronha (FN) Near Convent, SALIGAO 403511 GOA India
Freelance Journalist Tel: +91-832-2409490 MOBILE: 9822122436
fred at bytesforall.org fredericknoronha at vsnl.net
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.culture.region.india.goa (Goanet)