Hi SaligaoNetters,

This posting of Fr. Nasciment's brings to mind all the lovely times I had at the Saligao Institute from 1967 through to 1982 including my wedding reception.

From: Nascimen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The cemented badminton court adjoining the institute's building also serves as a popular open-air >dance floor.

Yes, all the Dances were held there in May to celebrate the Feast & 18th Dec. to celebrate Liberation.... those were the good old days. Once upon a time, people from all over Goa attended these dances & danced on that court right upto 6.30 a.m. after which some of us walked to the Church, for the 7 a.m. mass & then went home to breakfast & sleep.
Also recall the various badminton tournaments held on same court.

During my seminary days with the help of some young villagers we had put up some musical items in the Institute.. about the italian song 'Funiculi Funicula and various other goan folks songs and dances we staged over there together with a talk ....This remembrance reminded me to write on Saligao Institute for the benefit of our Saligao netters. They could also post some of their experiences at the Saligao Institute and I hope to read them..

Right Fr. Nasciment, we could compare notes as I too remember the skits, the various items & Oslando & troupe singing there, & that "Funiculi Funicula" item. Also remember the housie sessions especially when Mr. Berta D'Souza called out numbers fif-tie, seven-tie etc. instead of fifty or seventy.

....It was founded by three persons, namely Antonio Jose Souza-Cordeiro, Vitorino Saldanha and >Dr. Rudolf de Mello. But the principal founder was Souza-Cordeiro.... At the time the Institute >came into existence over 50 years ago... there was hardly a village in Goa that had a club of its own.

A first? Or was the Club in Aldona a first? Who is Rudolf de Mello? Only heard of the other 2 gentlemen!

It was Antonio Jose's vision that conceived the idea of building a club house in Saligao. But even >this well-intentioned project had its critics.

Huh! What's new?

There were some who ridiculed his plan and others even opposed it, but Antonio Jose found among those in favour of the scheme one ardent and active supporter, Franklin de SouzaBeing fully convinced of the utility of the scheme, Antonio Jose went ahead with his scheme.

Thank goodness for that! Is this Mr. Franklin the one who used to wear the flattish cap & carry a walking stick?..... I also remember the whist sessions in the club, partnering at one table or another, Mr. Martin Cordeiro, Mr. Delaney etc., always fearing that they would shout at me if I played the wrong card & spoilt their game...(after all they were the professionals eh?) they never did, so I must have done something right .... I kept counting what cards were thrown like the professional card players do - he he!

But the best I got out of the Institute, was the books I took home, read & exchanged for different ones every Saturday. Hence I am very pleased about the reading sessions conducted by Giselle & others. I think A.Blanche mentioned her in her letter to me. Is Giselle Zelma's sister or is this another Giselle?

...It is the ardent desire of Saligaokars that the Institute which 75 years old, under the leadership >of the new dynamic committee and the members plan activities for a better future of the coming >generation.

I hope that too & all the best to them.

May God bless the Committee members and its members of the Saligao Institute-Saligao..

I second that!

Roll on, Saligao Institute! Another 100 years at least?

Viva!
Annette