Do GOACAN a favour, circulate this email to your
family members, relatives, neighbours and friends.
Help others be BETTER INFORMED,
The time is come for the people of Goa
to ORGANISE not AGONISE !!
Documented by Goa Desc Resource Centre Ph:2252660
Website: www.goadesc.org Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Press Clippings on the web: http://www.goadesc.org/mem/
-----------------------
Consumer rights
-----------------------
Even as the Jago Grahak Jago campaign is actively involved in
bringing about the much needed awareness of consumer rights,
we the people of Goa, being literate, are cheated royally by
many shopkeepers. Regardless to say, even the local provision
store wala takes the literate customer for a royal ride.

The Goa dairy one litre milk packet which states an MRP of
Rs. 18.50 is sold by many provision shop owners at the cost
of Rs. 20. I recently had an experience of the sort when I
bought two litres of milk which was charged Rs. 40. As I
scanned the packet to find out the date of packing of the
milk contents in the packet, I was taken in for a rude shock
to see the price, simply manipulated by the shop keeper.

Even as I enquired with him the next day, he told me that he
charged every body the same rate. I was astonished to see
that people did not bother to check the rate on the packet
and more stranger was the fact that those who knew did not
bother to get it to the notice of the shop keeper, making the
shop keeper think that he did a fare job.

The question here is not about just one customer. It is high
time we Goans come out and fight this injustice and teach
such shop keepers a good lesson. It is hard earned money
that we spend in this age of inflation. We should not let some
prosper in the wrong way at the cost of the poor.

Prinyanka Kamat, Margao
in a letter to the Editor
Herald 10/6/05 page 6

GOA CIVIC AND CONSUMER ACTION NETWORK
an initiative of GOA DESC RESOURCE CENTRE
to promote civic and consumer rights in Goa
GOACAN Post Box 78 Mapusa, Goa 403 507
Tel: 2252660 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
website: www.goacan.org