-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Frederick Noronha (FN) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Atlantic Pack & Parcel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: LCHS Lourdes Convent Alumni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: List or website for Lourdes Convent High School - Boarders.
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 00:40:41 +0530
Hi Josephine, Were you ever in the boarding? In any case, my home is
next-door.

Most of Goa's boarding schools (including Britto's and other major
schools) have closed down. I think Guirim boarding continues, but as a
shadow of its one-time self.

For long, I've grappled with trying to understand why the boardings
closed down. My (preliminary) guesses are:

* Improvement of transport facilities (to some extent) in Goa, meaning
that people can travel daily. Kids go from Chorao to Miramar daily for
school now. In the 'sixties and 'seventies, this was unthinkable.

* Spread of schools, meaning more schools closer to home. Of course,
quality remains an issue, and we would like to see Lourdes Convent keep
its flag flying on this front.

* End of the Africa expat generation... many returned home in the
'sixties and early 'seventies. Earlier, the parents would sent their
children back to Goa for their studies.

* Above all, growing Goan affluence, which now means that parents aspire
to send their kids to places like Mount Abu, rather than to schools in
Goa itself.

Would others on this list agree with these assumptions? FN