In his new novel, Machines Like Me
<https://smile.amazon.com/Machines-Like-Me-Ian-McEwan/dp/0385545118/ref=sr_1_1>,
 Ian McEwan uses science fiction and counter-factual history to speculate about
the coming of artificial intelligence and its effect on human relations.  The
opening page introduces a pivotal character, "Sir Alan Turing, war hero and
presiding genius of the digital age.”

The evening with McEwan will be largely conversation with me, based on written
questions from the audience, along with some readings from the new book.

[NOTE:  The event is at a different and larger venue, the Sydney Goldstein
Theater, just a block from our usual SFJazz.  Thus seating starts at 6:30pm.]

"Machines Like Me" Ian McEwan, Sydney Goldstein Theater, Hayes Valley, San
Francisco, 6:30pm, Saturday May 4. The show starts promptly at 7:30pm.

To be sure of a seat:
• Long Now Members <https://longnow.org/membership/> can use the discount code
on the McEwan Seminar page to reserve 2 free seats
<http://longnow.org/seminars/02019/may/04/machines-like-me/>.
• You can purchase tickets for $25 each
<http://longnow.org/seminars/02019/may/04/machines-like-me/>.
• Seminar at Sydney Goldstein Theater
<https://www.cityarts.net/sydney-goldstein-theater/> 275 Hayes Street, San
Francisco, CA 94102
• Tune into the live stream <http://longnow.org/live/> for Long Now Members at
7:30 PT - become a member <https://longnow.org/membership/> for just $8 a month.
Share this talk: Ian McEwan, "Machines Like Me" Long Now talk on 5/4
https://bit.ly/2I9dJDb <https://bit.ly/2I9dJDb>

Talks coming up:

June 4 - David Byrne, Good News & Sleeping Beauties
<http://longnow.org/seminars/02019/jun/04/good-news-sleeping-beauties/>
June 24 - Mariana Mazzucato, Rethinking Value
<http://longnow.org/seminars/02019/jun/24/rethinking-value/>
July 22 - Marcia Bjornerud, Timefulness
<http://longnow.org/seminars/02019/jul/22/timefulness/>

High-quality videos of the talks and other benefits (such as priority tickets)
are available to Long Now members.  Membership, which starts at $8/month
($96/year), helps support the series and other Long Now projects. Joinable here
<https://longnow.org/membership/>.

This is one of a monthly series of Seminars About Long-term Thinking (SALT)
organized by The Long Now Foundation.  Free audio and my summaries of most
previous talks are available for download here <http://longnow.org/seminars/>
(or stay up to date with the podcast here
<http://longnow.org/seminars/podcast/>).  You'll find a range of long-term
thinking items on our Blog <http://blog.longnow.org/> (RSS
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/longnow>).  If you would like to be notified by
email (like this one) of forthcoming talks, go here
<http://list.longnow.org/mailman/listinfo/salt> to sign up online.  Any
questions, contact Danielle Engelman at Long Now -- 415-561-6582 x1
<tel:415-561-6582%20x1> or danie...@longnow.org <mailto:danie...@longnow.org>.

You are welcome to forward this notice to anyone you think might be interested.

 --Stewart Brand  s...@longnow.org

-----
The Long Now Foundation -- http://longnow.org/ <http://longnow.org/>
Seminars & downloads -- http://longnow.org/seminars/