Hmm... Sam users are not alone in this how-do-I-connect-a-monitor
problem. Atari ST and Amiga users have the same problem (well,
older Amigas certainly do - don't know about newer ones), and
so my guess is that a good place to start would be to look in
an Amiga magazine. Every time I pick up an Amiga mag there
seem to be a plethora of adapters to connect PC equipment
and I guess there are PAL-to-VGA adapters advertised there.
The problem might be if they are somehow Amiga specific.

Theoretically a SAM-to-VGA adapter wouldn't be tricky - all
we need is some sort of RAM into which we feed one horizontal
scan line from the SAM (and since the sam has its digital
outputs on the euroconnector we don't even need to bother
with digital-to-analogue converters) and simultaneously
read out the previously stored line twice over and at twice
the frequency of the incoming line. That'd give an output
at 31.2KHz horizontal and 50Hz vertical, which *most* monitors
should be able to cope with (though it is pushing at the lower
limits).

Anyone feeling brave?!

Andy