----- Original Message -----
From: Si Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <sam-users@nvg.ntnu.no>
Sent: 9. èervna 1999 9:05
Subject: Re: Linux vs. Win32 SimCoupe - must I fight?

> *takes a deep breath*
>
> Aley Keprt originally wrote:
> > > Since Si Owen doesn't want to release his sources (I hate him for
this),

> Aley seems to have left out an all-important 'yet' from the end of this
> sentence, probably not intentionally.
>

> Thomas Harte then wrote:
> > Hey, Sim Coupe was distributed under the GPL license. If Si doesn't
> > want to surrender the modified source then he is breaking the law, and
> > many people within the GPL sphere are perfectly happy to help fight if
> > this is the case.
>
> I've always said that I would release the modified source when I'm done,
and
> that's still what I intend to do.  It's not available yet because I've not
> finished my changes, and I'm not going to be pressured into releasing it
> early.  It'll be ready when it's ready - be patient!
>
> My spare time has been extremely limited recently, so I've not had a
chance
> to work on it.  With any luck things should start to get back to 'normal'
in
> a few weeks time when some big work deadlines are out of the way and I'm
> back from holiday.
>

> > A win32 Sim boycott anyone?
>
> Get a life Thomas...
>
> Si

I don't agree that somebody don't release source until it is finished.
The SimCoupe will never be 100% finished. Or will be? I don't think so.
So Si Owen probably will never release the source, since he will never
be finished with his work.

I think that programming a modular software (e.g. SimCoupe) means
programming these modules independently. This means that when some changes
are finished, they should be released. The current situation is that only
one person (Si) is allowed to work on SimCoupe.

e.g. Some changes in CPU emulation are made, but source is not released.
Why? I'd like to work on SimCoupe too. I want to work on SOME modules, and I
think I'd do it. THe current situation is not normal (see Mame project -
many people work parallelly on different modules).

If Si Owen don't respect this modular system (and work on several modules
together), he will only make some unreadable sources with many bugs. That's
not only my opinion, that's praxis of software engineering. Maybe some
people think I'm sometime too scientific, but I think SimCoupe project is
large enough to use the industry standard developers' technologies.
And it is not so hard, especially when GPL say something, we should respect
it.

Aley [eili] Keprt - student, programmer (multimedia soft. etc.)
                    phone: +420-68-538 70 35
     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ***  http://get.to/aley