On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Nick Humphries wrote:

> From: Andrew Collier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >I'd say you'd be hard
> >pressed to find a PC owner who couldn't decode - or encode, for that
> >matter - a .gz file.
>
> I disagree.

Fine. But as far as I'm concerned, the point still stands. I hardly know
anyone who uses a PC at all and doesn't have a program capable of
ungzipping, and who wouldn't be afraid to use it.

After all, SimCoupe is zipped itself. If you've managed to uncompress
that, then the chances are that the same uncompress program can also
handle gzip files. Gzip is *way* more common than lha and arc which you
mentioned.

> >There's little point to reinventing the wheel, and you'd need to work
> >quite hard to make your customized compression algorithm work better than
> >gzip anyway.
>
> Who says it has to be better than gzip? It just needs to be better than having
> raw DSK files.

No, it has to better than the existing solution if you're going to
persuade a programmer to spend his time on writing the darned thing. In
other words, it has got to be better than a gzipped .dsk file which is
what everybody currently uses.

Andrew

--
 --  Andrew Collier  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  --        My other
  --      http://mnemotech.ucam.org      --       .sig is a