On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Ian Collier wrote:

> I gather that a recent release of Quake came out first on Linux, but not
> having the first idea what that even is :o) I couldn't substantiate that.

Wrong - Quake3Arena Test came out first on MacOS, then Linux, then
Windows. But the reason for this was that MacOS has a more standardized
hardware base, so things were more likely to work without massive trouble.

Windows was left last because it has the largest user base (probably by a
factor of at least 10), and they wanted to fix cross-platform bugs before
exposing their product to mass market.

Not that I'm saying that Linux is an negligible market - people are
releasing games such as Myth II - but in terms of games it has much less
significance than Windows or even MacOS.

Andrew

--
 --  Andrew Collier  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  --        My other
  --      http://mnemotech.ucam.org      --       .sig is a