On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Aley Keprt wrote:

> > It's a compressed sad -- the user *needs* to know this.
>
> Again: Compressed SAD is still a SAD.

Again: Oh no it isn't. the user *needs* to be able to see, at a glance,
the difference between an uncompressed and a compressed image.

There are programs, current programs such as samdsk and dskman, which the
user *will need to use* in addition to SimCoupe - they understand .dsk
files but do not understand compressed .dsk files. The user MUST be aware
that a file is compressed before trying to feed it to one of these
programs.

> Microsoft made many versions of their Word and DOC files.
> If Microsoft named each particular version with a new name,
> now we would have tens of file extensions.
> But there is only one extension: DOC.

Yes, and that's a Right Royal Pain if you're trying to read a file and you
don't have access to the very super-duper latest Microsoft software. It's
impossible even to determine which version of Word you should be trying to
interpret (eg. ClarisWorks can read a Word 6 document but not any later
version; if I'm given a .doc file I don't know if I can read it until I
try -- if it's a Word97 document then that's wasting MY time.)

Just because Microsoft have implemented a broken standard, doesn't mean we
all have to.

> If somebody will want to pack old SAD's to new shorter files,
> he probably will use a program to do it (:-)). That program can
> easily distinguish between packed and unpacked SAD, so
> there will be no "Bad Thing [tm]" as Stuart Brady wrote.

If you use zlib (as I thought had been agreed, was a Good Idea TM) then
there is NO difference between a compressed SAD saved by the new SimCoupe,
and a normal SAD saved by the current SimCoupe which is zip-compressed or
whatever.

.. except that you'd give them different filenames.

> In addition, you can never use new fileformats in old programs.
> (Again you can't load the lastest DOC files to the older Word.)

Are you saying this is a good thing?

> So you even won't be able to load packed SAD's to older
> SimCoupe.

But you will! Since you know that a compressed SAD is just a normal SAD
which has been compressed (natch) there's really nothing to stop you from
uncompressing the SAD and using it.

> That's reality.

Don't believe it.

Given that some Microsoft programmers made a design error, so what? Either
make the same error they did, or do things right this time around.

Andrew

--
 --  Andrew Collier  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  --        My other
  --      http://mnemotech.ucam.org      --       .sig is a