> On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:37:27 +0100 "Aley Keprt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > > On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:08:50 +0100 "Aley Keprt"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > This is the case with RAID0 (lost = lost from the RAID).
> > >
> > >  -Frode
> >
> > I see the problem is that I don't see disk crash is equal to "disk is
> > completely lost".
> > If you have some errors on a disk drive, and you can still use the rest
of
> > it, your RAID0 still works.
> > Or not?
>
> This is not a disk crash. This is a sector error. ALL disk have sector
> errors. In the old days, ie. pre 1986 or thereabouts, these used to be
> marked as 'bad blocks' in a block map on the disk. This was done from
> the factory. If you wanted to keep this map up to date, you had to
> run some software to check this for you.
>
> Disk nowadays still have block errors. However, some percentage of the
> disk is now reserved for this purpose. Whenever the disk detects a
> "bad block" it marks it as bad and substitute it with a block from the
> reserved area.

Okay. I though "disk crash" refers to any error on disk drive, since if disk
doesn't crash, it runs well.
And when it doesn't run well, something bad must happened.

> If there is data on such a bad block, the disk usually detects the
> fault early enought to salvage the data. But sometimes you loose the data
> in such a bad block. This happens VERY rarely in my experience, I have
> only heard of this, not experience it myself. I suspected this once, but
> I used another controller and the disk worked nicely evre since (6 years
> now).
>
> When I talk about a crash I mean a crash which can not be repaired with
> conventional means. This can be a physical crash where the only way is
> to send it to a profesional compnay (www.ibas.com) or it might be a
> crash in the filesystem. A format or a low-level format ususlly solves
> this.
>
>  -Frode

The question is if this definition is only yours, or the standard one.
I have never distinguished between several different disk errors. i.e.
either disk is in good condition or not
If not (i.e. at least one bad sector appeared), I consider this disk
unusable and try to keep away from it ;-)

Aley